Rio Grande Valley Personal Injury Attorney
Helping Injured Victims in the Rio Grande Valley
When you are injured in an accident, you may be left with a number of questions. How will you pay for your medical bills? How will you support your family if you are unable to work? How will you get your life back on track? At Gonzalez & Associates, we understand the challenges you are facing, and we are here to help.
Our Rio Grande Valley personal injury lawyers have been serving the community for years. We are committed to providing the compassionate, personalized legal guidance you need and the aggressive advocacy you deserve.
How to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in the Rio Grande Valley
After you have been injured in an accident, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party. To do so, you will need to prove that the other party was negligent and that their negligence caused your injuries.
To prove negligence, you must show that:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care
- The at-fault party breached the duty of care
- The breach of the duty of care caused your injuries
- You suffered damages as a result
For example, all drivers owe a duty of care to others on the road to drive safely and follow the rules of the road. If a driver is texting while driving and causes an accident, they have breached the duty of care. If you are injured in the accident, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver to recover compensation for your damages.
It is important to note that Texas follows a modified comparative negligence rule. This means that if you are found to be partially at fault for the accident, your damages will be reduced by your percentage of fault. If you are found to be more than 50% at fault, you will be barred from recovering any compensation.
Common Personal Injury Cases in the Rio Grande Valley
At Gonzalez & Associates, we handle a wide range of personal injury cases. Our attorneys have the experience, skill, and resources to handle even the most complex claims. We are prepared to fight for you.
We represent clients in the following types of personal injury cases:
- Car accidents: Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injury in the United States. If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
- Truck accidents: Truck accidents are often much more severe than car accidents due to the size and weight of the truck. If you have been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation from the truck driver, trucking company, and more.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcyclists are at a much higher risk of injury in an accident due to the lack of protection. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Slip and falls: Property owners have a duty to keep their property safe for others. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
What Compensation Is Available in a Personal Injury Case?
If you have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Damages are the losses you have suffered as a result of the accident. There are two main types of damages: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages are tangible losses, such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
Non-economic damages are intangible losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Punitive damages are not meant to compensate you for your losses, but rather to punish the at-fault party for their actions. Punitive damages are only awarded in cases in which the at-fault party’s actions were especially egregious.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Texas?
In Texas, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. This is known as the statute of limitations. If you fail to file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations, you will be barred from recovering compensation.
Why Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
After you have been injured in an accident, you may be contacted by the at-fault party’s insurance company. The insurance company may offer you a settlement. It is important to remember that the insurance company is not on your side. Their goal is to pay you as little as possible, or nothing at all.
Before you accept a settlement, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer. At Gonzalez & Associates, we can review the details of your case and help you understand your legal options. If the insurance company is not willing to offer you a fair settlement, we are prepared to take your case to trial.
How Our Rio Grande Valley Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
At Gonzalez & Associates, we understand the challenges you are facing, and we are here to help. Our Rio Grande Valley personal injury attorneys can handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on your recovery. We can investigate the accident, gather evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. If the insurance company is not willing to offer you a fair settlement, we are prepared to take your case to trial.
When you choose our firm, you can expect:
- Compassionate counsel: We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll an accident can take on you and your family. We are here to provide the compassionate, personalized legal guidance you need during this difficult time.
- Aggressive advocacy: Our attorneys are not afraid to stand up to the insurance company and fight for your rights. We are prepared to take your case to trial if necessary.
- Open communication: We believe in keeping our clients informed throughout the entire legal process. We will promptly return your calls and emails and keep you updated on any developments in your case.
Contact Our Rio Grande Valley Personal Injury Attorneys Today
If you have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation. At Gonzalez & Associates, we are committed to providing the aggressive advocacy you deserve. Our Rio Grande Valley personal injury lawyers can help you navigate the legal system and fight for your rights.
Do I still have a case if I received a traffic citation stating I cause of the accident?The situation depends if the accident was not completely your fault. You can still recover damages from the other driver for the portion of the accident that was his or her fault.
What is a wrongful death claim?This type of claim can be filed by the survivors of an individual who has died due to another party’s negligence or misconduct.
What types of recovery are available for the families & survivors of wrongful death victims?The family members & survivor of victims may be able to secure damages for economic loss, pain and suffering the victim went through before their passing, loss of parental guidance, and the loss of services the deceased provided.
Who has the right to bring a wrongful death claim?
Relatives of the deceased may file a wrongful death claim. However, if the person filing the claim is a minor, they may require an adult guardian in order to file a lawsuit. Depending on the situation, other legal dependents and members of the victim’s family may be able to pursue claims.
What is medical malpractice?
Law defines medical malpractice as negligence committed by a professional health care provider - a doctor, nurse, dentist, hospital, hospital worker, etc. - whose performance fails to meet the standard of care expected of those with similar training and experience, resulting in harm to a patient. The profession itself sets the standard for medical malpractice by its own custom and practice.